Rap singers have the potential to change the world but many just sell out for the sake of sales. I love the song Yeah by Usher, who doesn’t? (Here’s the video: “Yeah” by Usher) It has a great beat. Usher is adorable and talented and his lyrics aren’t generally sexist or violent, but this song, which is about meeting girls in a club and leaving with them, has some cringeworthy bits. Another rap singer, Ludacris, sings the bridge, and every time I hear these lyrics I flinch. Yeah is considered a tame song and was (and still is) a huge success, selling a bajillion copies and remaining a radio staple. I have numbered the lines for easier translation.
Bridge to song Yeah by Usher and Ludacris:
1. My outfit’s ridiculous, in the club lookin’ so conspicuous.
2. And rowl! These women all on the prowl, if you hold the head steady I’m a milk the cow.
3. Forget about the game, I’m a spit the truth, I won’t stop till I get ’em in they birthday suits.
4. So gimmie the rhythm and it’ll be off with their clothes, then bend over to the front and touch your toes.
5. I left the Jag and I took the Rolls, if they ain’t cuttin’ then I put ’em on foot patrol.
6. How you like me now, when my pinky’s valued over three hundred thousand.
7. Let’s drank you the one to please, Ludacris fill cups like double D’s.
8. Me and Ush once more and we leave ’em dead, we want a lady in the street but a freak in the bed.
1. I’m dressed like a pimp and everyone is looking at me.
2. Growl! The women in the club want to mate with a guy with lots of cash and I take advantage of this. If you hold the head steady I’m a milk the cow means that after the woman I have chosen for the night performs fellatio, she is to hold her head steady so I can ejaculate in either her face or mouth.
3. I am not interested in talking. My only goal is to get them naked.
4. She must take her clothes off and bend over.
5. I own two luxury cars. If the woman does not comply with my sexual demands, she must get out and walk.
6. You should be extremely impressed that the ring on my little finger is worth $300,000.
7. I’m not sure exactly what this means, but obviously it has to do with enormous breasts, the number-one focus of millions of people both old and young.
8. Usher and I only want women who are polite in public but wild in the bedroom (or vehicle).
Rap singers have enormous influence. By constantly inferring that women are nothing but whores and that flashy jewelry, cars, and double D size breasts hold the highest priority, they set the worst example possible for young listeners.